I was riding my Yezdi through a heavy winter rain from Delhi to Patiala.
I had been discharged from R&R hospital, Delhi for 4 weeks sick leave after
treatment for Hepatitis and Renal Calculus (Jaundice and kidney stone
respectively, in common parlance). The doctor had recommended some diet
restrictions, but there was nothing said about long distance bike rides.
I was on a shiny, powerful new bike that invited appreciative glances on
normal days (and in Punjab, a question – Boolt kyon nee lai?). I was on the way
to a long awaited rendezvous. The wide open (single lane) highway was mostly
devoid of traffic. My jacket kept the wet and the cold away (mostly).
Yet, the rain made me miserable. I just couldn’t wait to get out of it. I
wished I had a car. I thought of stopping at the Liberty factory en-route, but
the biker’s pride wouldn’t permit me to ask for shelter. So, I soldiered on,
pushing the bike as hard as I could without risking a skid on the slippery tar.
On reaching home, I jumped out of the wet clothes (into dry ones) and
under a quilt, while being served hot tea and a hotter tongue lashing by my
parents. But I was so grateful to be off the bike, and out of the rain.
Jul 2014.
I was riding my Yezdi through a torrential downpour from Gurgaon to
Dwarka. The water seeped through the tee and the jeans. I was sure the cell
phone in my hip pocket wasn’t totally shielded from the rain. I was surrounded by
8 lanes of snarling, honking, impatient-to-get home Delhi traffic. The trusty
old Yezdi hadn’t aged much, but the years of disuse had made the clutch a bit
sticky, and it required some deft handling on my part. What a Yezdi always needs more
than maintenance, petrol or oil, is deft handling.
And yet, I wasn’t missing my car. I didn’t regret the decision to ride
the bike to college. And I realised that the people smiling at me were
responding to the stupid grin stuck on my face. I think I was singing, or
trying to sing something like “Raindrops keep falling on my head/helmet”. On
reaching home, I didn’t jump out of, or under, anything. I stood dripping water
in the garage, wiping my Yezdi dry. Couldn’t leave the chromed beauty to gather
rust, could I. Then I flipped out my cell phone for a wet selfie, but the phone
was too wet for the selfie. Sauntered upstairs, threw the phone in a bag of
rice, and got thinking.
“So, this is what they call mid-life crisis?!!!”
Midlife - A natural stage that happens to many of us
at some point, usually at about age 40, give or take 20 years.
(Psychology Today)
Crisis - a difficult or dangerous situation
that needs serious attention. (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Midlife Crisis - Midlife crisis is a term coined in
1965 by Elliott Jaques stating a time where adults come to realize their own
mortality and how much time is left in their life. (Wikipedia)
In my case, yes, I just turned 41. So, I will accept the term midlife
being applied to me. But I see nothing dangerous or demanding attention in my
case. I do not think of my mortality, or of the time left in my life. The only
time I think of is that left for me to complete this college course and get on with my
life. I therefore refuse to accept any such crisis in my life.
The crisis theory, in my esteemed opinion, is just another theory
floated to keep mankind (read male kind) in check, like the theories about
heaven and hell. The benevolent patriarchs who were trying to frame rules at
the beginning of civilisation just didn’t have enough logic to support their
rules, and so they threw in the fire and brimstone to scare the living
daylights, and all the fun, out of our lives. A progressive society needs workers,
loads of obedient workers. And these workers need to be kept in check by too
few of these wise men.
What most of us achieve at this so called midlife, is experience. We
have had our share of our little rebellions. We have discovered our limits, and
toed the line for almost half of our lives. In short, we have been there, done
that. We know how much to care about the opinions of others. And we know where
our own lives figure in our list of priorities.
This is where the machines send in the Agents. Neo has taken the blue
pill, and it is now time for Mr Smith to enter the scene. No scary sentinels here, just the bogey of the
Midlife Crisis.
At 40, this is called the midlife crisis. 20 years earlier, it would be even
worse, arrested development. 20
years later, it would be much more acceptable, such a lively old man.
It is such a devious ploy. First, they groom us to believe emotions are
not for men. They teach us to take pride in keeping a clear head. And when we
finally clear up our heads, they make us doubt our own sanity, and gain control
of our thoughts and actions. Maybe this is why Khalil Gibran said “I have found
both freedom and safety in my madness”1.
So, do I not believe in this concept of midlife crisis? Sure I do. But
for me crisis is ‘an
emotionally significant event or radical change of status in a person's life’.
And this change is the experience and understanding we gain in these 4 odd
decades.
So go on, enjoy this so called crisis,
revel in this significant and radical change. And do not let labels define you.
P.S. For those of you who are still
sceptical about my disclosure, I have another theory. Maybe it’s just the
proximity of my beloved Yezdi that makes me feel young again. Maybe, I have
found my fountain of youth. The bike is to me what his picture is to Dorian
Gray.
Or maybe, just maybe, I AM having a
midlife crisis.


No comments:
Post a Comment